So why "SUBVERSIVE ELEPHANT" you ask? Some time after my ex-husband left I was telling my Mother that he regarded me as a bad influence on our children. In perhaps THE most revealing Freudian slip of my life I declared, "He thinks I'm a subversive elephant"

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

That WAS a week, that was!!

I can't think where the time goes!

Lots has happened. We spent a couple of days helping Beth do up the bathroom in her house. It had a very yukky old carpeted floor and brown plastic accessories, so it now looks a lot better with chrome bits and a vinyl floor - MUCH better for small boys!

Said small boy was abducted and taken over to the Isle of Wight by his uncle and aunt. He has come back very brown and slightly bruised where he fell out of a tree, but he had a wonderful time, most of it spent on the beach. Nick and Dena spent the rest of the week restoring their energy levels!! They spent last Saturday night here, and we went out on the Saturday evening for Nick's birthday. Can I have a son who is now 36?? Apparently I can!

The previous Saturday was Phoebe's end of year presentation at her ballet school so I went with Amanda to watch. I admire Yasmin, who owns the school. She gets every child up on stage, no matter their ability, and they all give their very best. Some of the older girls are very good. It is so strange seeing the contrast between the on-stage poised young dancer, and the off-stage kid having a laugh with her mates.

Phoebe is here overnight as it is my turn to child-mind tomorrow. She is shattered as she has been up since 6am. She was lucky enough to be one of 100 children to participate in a workshop on Saturday to chose 25 to perform at the launch of London Theatre Kids Week. Phoebe was good enough to be one of the 25, so she had to be in London at 9.30 this morning to rehearse, later performing on the stage of the Prince of Wales theatre in the West End with the cast of "Mamma Mia" The launch was broadcast on TV in London, but of course, none of us will ever see it!!

I spent Sunday at a crop in Berkshire. Yes, it is a bit of a long way to go, but it is run by my UKS team leader, MJ, and most of my fellow Scrapettes were there. Anyway, it's not half as far as it is for the lovely Linda, who took me there and back. It takes her an hour to get to me, and another hour to the crop, bless her. I had a fab day, and I actually did a whole layout, which is unheard of for me, coz I am usually too busy gassing.

What else? Oh yes, the cat has had to go to the vet. He has a growth in his stomach which has to be removed. Bit scary as he is 17, which makes him around 82 in cat years. The vet seems sure he can sort him out. Apparently all his blood tests came back showing him to be in remarkable shape for a mog his age. Anyone care to guess how much he is going to cost us THIS time? His sister has also turned up. She has been missing for about six weeks and we had really given her up for lost. She is totally deaf, and totally daft, so we thought a car might have hit her, but there she was, scruffy, grubby, and hungry. She ate everything in sight and disappeared again. She IS a floozie, so she probably has several other homes.

I also had a visit from a friend who now lives in the States. She has been gone 12 years and is one of the few people who never forgets my second daughter. We have exchanged cards and letters over the years and it was really great to see her. She did admit to finding the heat oppressive - and she comes from California!!

So there we are. A week and a bit in the life of someone who never does anything. . .!!

No comments: