So why "SUBVERSIVE ELEPHANT" you ask? Some time after my ex-husband left I was telling my Mother that he regarded me as a bad influence on our children. In perhaps THE most revealing Freudian slip of my life I declared, "He thinks I'm a subversive elephant"

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Moving too fast. . .

The world is moving too fast for me at the moment. My favourite craft shop, Canny Craft, has closed. This has wide-reaching impact as Canny (Anne and James) were the sole sponsors of the PapaercraftsUK Forum, which was my intro to this whole online community thingy. PCUK has been my online home for a couple of years. Beth found it first, and joined, and then I tried, but it just wouldn't let us have two logins from the same IP address. For some months we shared the log-in as Panicmum and PanicGran, with Beth posting in blue and me posting in red.

An update of the forum allowed me my own identity and we have been part of the furniture there ever since. Last January Canny organised a Retreat and many of us travelled to Cwmbran for a weekend of crafting and chatting and laughter and fun. Losing Anne and James is like losing part of the fabric of our lives. Luckily the Forum is to continue, and those of us who need a daily, if not hourly, fix will still be able to get it.

I think it is a particular function of online communties where women are in the majority that the overt purpose of the Forum - a shared interest in papercrafts - has almost become secondary to the support network we form for each other. PCUK seems to function as an extended family for many of its members, and we would all be devastated at its demise. Hooray, then, for "Techy James" who has rescued it from oblivion.

No comments: