So why "SUBVERSIVE ELEPHANT" you ask? Some time after my ex-husband left I was telling my Mother that he regarded me as a bad influence on our children. In perhaps THE most revealing Freudian slip of my life I declared, "He thinks I'm a subversive elephant"

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

COUNTDOWN. . .

to the big day - the birthday I wasn't supposed to reach!! I've actually been feeling a bit down lately, and I think I've worked out that there is a certain amount of anti-climax about the whole thing. For three years now I have been aiming at my 60th birthday - having been told I'd be lucky to see 59 - and now here it is, on the doorstep. Am I going to find I fall apart now? Abigail reached her aim of 16, and died three weeks later. Now I don't for a moment think my timescale is that critcal, but I have been wondering if the determination will kind of seep out of me. Pathetic, I know. It's probably because my joints hurt and I haven't been sleeping well. Isn't it annoying when you can't even do the stuff you WANT to do, let alone normal everyday stuff.? Luckily much of what I WANT to do is sit and read, and that's OK, or do some scrapping, and that's OK, so it'd probably be good if I stopped moaning now
Anyway, Alan has challenged me to make it to our 25th un-anniversary, which is in the summer of 2009, so perhaps that's what I should aim for now!

Meanwhile, I have everything under control (If you believe THAT, you're dafter than you look) Maybe we'll muddle through as usual. I planned a party for about 60 people, invited about 70 and so far there are over 90 coming. Standing room only!! Food, drink and entertainment are organised. Family and friends are coming from miles around, so my small corner of the world will be mayhem for 24 hours - is that unusual???

6 comments:

Jaffers said...

60?
60?
I challenge you to reach 100, just so you can get Queenies telegram, and then be able to go on about how it’s not like it was in your day, standards are slipping, the paper quality’s not what it used to be…

May you live long and enjoy a crazed old age! :-)

Linda said...

(HUGS) jan! I'm sure you will enjoy the party! It sounds like it is going to be fab! Really looking forward to it.

Love from Linda X

Jan said...

I'm already doing the crazed bit - you should see me foam at the mouth!!

Jen said...

Jan - how come I never found your blog before???? You go girl! You will get that telegram from the Queen (see Jaffers...), you'll see :) Can't wait for Debden - I'm sure I won't have any problem making you look beautiful on the photos, cos you are a beautiful person.

Lyzzydee said...

I have just found your blog so Iam going to add you to my links!! Like Jen aim high if you fall a bit short sod it!!
It was great to meet you, you are a kind and funny lady!!
Looking forward to meeting you again.

Clare said...

Darling Jan, I'm going to miss the old elephant, rest well my lovely.

for one last time...

Happy talk, keep talkin' happy talk,
Talk about things you'd like to do.
You got to have a dream,
If you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true?

xxxxxxxxx