So why "SUBVERSIVE ELEPHANT" you ask? Some time after my ex-husband left I was telling my Mother that he regarded me as a bad influence on our children. In perhaps THE most revealing Freudian slip of my life I declared, "He thinks I'm a subversive elephant"

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So why Subversive Elephant?

Soon after I started University (at the advanced age of 37) my VERY conventional ex-husband chose to tell me I had turned from a "normal mother" into a "radical Marxist Feminist". I've never been altogether sure he knew the meaning of any of those terms - and I've never been a Marxist! I was telling my mother this story and I declared forcefully, "I'm sure he thinks I'm a subversive elephant!" Given that I am a lady of "traditional build" it seemed appropriate to adopt the malapropism and make it my own. Some 20 years on I am still subverting as much as possible - and I am still VERY fond of elephants.

9 comments:

Clare said...

Jan - I love you :D going to enjoy reading your bloggy! xx

Unknown said...

I love that you are a subversive elephant LOL Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging :D

Lorraine said...

Nice one, Jan. I just love your attitude. Oh yes, and your use of the English language. lol. Keep it up, hun.

Mj said...

Love the 'Subversive Elephant' I think you have a great twist on life Jan, looking forward to reading your blogg.

Hugs
MJ xxx

Anonymous said...

Remember that order of places to visit? PCUK, UKS, etc, well, I guess this Ellie is gonna have to visit that Ellie at some point each day. Shall I come here first thing to set me up for the day, or last thing to sweeten my dreams/keep me awake pondering?
xxx

Jaffers said...

And you is my very mostest favouritest Subversive Elephant too!!
Fab!!

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

'Very conventional ex-husband'??? LOL, love it!
Lookign forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»